Do you remember citizen journalism? A bystander filmed George Floyd’s murder and posted the video on social media. As a result, anti-racist protests are happening all over the world. What do you think would have happened if no one had witnessed that murder?
What about what you’ve learnt on Hate Speech? Online hate speech is common: There’s been an increase in teens’ exposure to racist, sexist, and homophobic content on social media.
So let’s think about the advantages and disadvantages of social media. While reading texts and watching videos write down some notes in your notebook and add up to your list of advantages and disadvantages.
1. Read the text How do social media affect the news and vice versa.
2. Then watch this video on Teens’ Experiences.
4. Here’s another video How do Social Media Platforms affect your mood? Click on CC for English subtitles.
3. You can do more research on your own.
4. Make up your mind and complete your list of advantages and disadvantages of social media. Take a clear photo and share with me via Google Classroom.
5. Now contribute to a class debate on the statement Social media have a strong negative impact on teenagers. LOG IN with your Google account. If possible watch the Basic Kialo Video Guide.
You will be asked to ADD 2 PRO arguments (a favor da afirmação Social media have a strong negative impact on teenagers) or 2 CON arguments (contra a afirmação ou seja referindo os aspetos positivos de social media). Make sure each argument is SHORT and CONCISE and limited to only 1 POINT/IDEA.
Click on + for PROS and – for CONS. Add your argument and SAVE.
If your idea is already there, add more arguments to reinforce that point. Click on the BLUE BUTTON and add PRO or CON arguments.